|Catechism part of hismercy.ca
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Welcome to the 2nd Edition of the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
Click on the index letter of your choice above to find your topic of interest,
or click on the table of contents to view that page. Once inside the document,
most paragraphs have cross-references, which you can view by clicking on paragraph number. To
view the cross-reference page, click on a paragraph number in the pop-up box. Enjoy.
- The Life of Man - To Know and Love God
- Handing on the Faith: Catechesis
- The Aim and Intended Readership of This Catechism
- Structure of This Catechism
- Practical Directions for Using This Catechism
- Necessary Adaptations
SECTION ONE: "I BELIEVE" - "WE BELIEVE"
CHAPTER ONE: MAN'S CAPACITY FOR GOD
SECTION TWO: THE PROFESSION OF THE CHRISTIAN FAITH
CHAPTER TWO: GOD COMES TO MEET MAN
- The Desire for God
- Ways of Coming to Know God
- The Knowledge of God According to the Church
- How Can We Speak about God?
CHAPTER THREE: MAN'S RESPONSE TO GOD
ARTICLE 1: THE REVELATION OF GOD
- God Reveals His "Plan of Loving Goodness"
- The Stages of Revelation
- Christ Jesus - "Mediator and Fullness of All Revelation"
ARTICLE 2: THE TRANSMISSION OF DIVINE REVELATION
ARTICLE 3: SACRED SCRIPTURE
- Apostolic Tradition
- The Relationship between Tradition and Sacred Scripture
- The Interpretation of the Heritage of Faith
- Christ - The unique Word of Sacred Scripture
- Inspiration and Truth of Sacred Scripture
- The Holy Spirit, Interpreter of Scripture
- The Canon of Scripture
- Sacred Scripture in the Life of the Church
ARTICLE 1: I BELIEVE
ARTICLE 2: WE BELIEVE
- The Obedience of Faith
- "I Know Whom I Have Believed"
- The Characteristics of Faith
The Credo Chart
- "Lord, Look Upon the Faith of Your Church"
- The Language of Faith
- Only One Faith
CHAPTER ONE: I BELIEVE IN GOD THE FATHER
ARTICLE 1: "I BELIEVE IN GOD THE FATHER ALMIGHTY, CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH"
CHAPTER TWO: I BELIEVE IN JESUS CHRIST, THE ONLY SON OF GOD
Paragraph 1. I Believe in God
Paragraph 2. The Father
- "I Believe in One God"
- God Reveals His Name
- God, "He Who Is," Is Truth and Love
- The Implications of Faith in One God
Paragraph 3. The Almighty
- "In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit"
- The Revelation of God as Trinity
- The Holy Trinity in the Teaching of the Faith
- The Divine Works and the Trinitarian Missions
Paragraph 4. The Creator
Paragraph 5. Heaven and Earth
- Catechesis on Creation
- Creation - Work of the Holy Trinity
- "The World Was Created for the Glory of God"
- The Mystery of Creation
- God Carries Out His Plan: Divine Providence
Paragraph 6. Man
- The Angels
- The Visible World
Paragraph 7. The Fall
- "In the Image of God"
- "Body and Soul but Truly One"
- "Male and Female He Created Them"
- Man in Paradise
- Where Sin Abounded, Grace Abounded All the More
- The Fall of the Angels
- Original Sin
- "You Did Not Abandon Him to the Power of Death"
ARTICLE 2: "AND IN JESUS CHRIST, HIS ONLY SON, OUR LORD"
CHAPTER THREE: I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT
ARTICLE 3: "HE WAS CONCEIVED BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, AND WAS BORN OF THE VIRGIN MARY"
- The Only Son of God
Paragraph 1. The Son of God Became Man
ARTICLE 4: "JESUS CHRIST SUFFERED UNDER PONTIUS PILATE, WAS CRUCIFIED, DIED, AND WAS BURIED"
Paragraph 2. "Conceived by the Power of the Holy Spirit and Born of the Virgin Mary"
- Why Did the Word Become Flesh?
- The Incarnation
- True God and True Man
- How Is the Son of God Man?
Paragraph 3. "The Mysteries of Christ's Life"
- Conceived by the Power of the Holy Spirit. . .
- . . .Born of the Virgin Mary
- Christ's Whole Life Is Mystery
- The Mysteries of Jesus' Infancy and Hidden Life
- The Mysteries of Jesus' Public Life
Paragraph 1. Jesus and Israel
ARTICLE 5: "HE DESCENDED INTO HELL ON THE THIRD DAY HE ROSE AGAIN"
Paragraph 2. Jesus Died Crucified
- Jesus and the Law
- Jesus and the Temple
- Jesus and Israel's Faith in the One God and Savior
Paragraph 3. Jesus Christ Was Buried
- The Trial of Jesus
- Christ's Redemptive Death in God's Plan of Salvation
- Christ Offered Himself to his Father for Our Sins
Paragraph 1. Christ Descended into Hell
ARTICLE 6: "HE ASCENDED INTO HEAVEN AND IS SEATED"
Paragraph 2. On the Third Day He Rose from the Dead
- The Historical and Transcendent Event
- The Resurrection - A Work of the Holy Trinity
- The Meaning and Saving Significance of the Resurrection
ARTICLE 7: "FROM THENCE HE WILL COME AGAIN TO JUDGE THE LIVING AND THE DEAD"
- At the right hand of the Father
- He Will Come Again in Glory
- To Judge the Living and the Dead
ARTICLE 8: "I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY SPIRIT"
ARTICLE 9: "I BELIEVE IN THE HOLY CATHOLIC CHURCH"
- The Joint Mission of the Son and the Spirit
- The Names, Titles, and Symbols of the Holy Spirit
- God's Spirit and Word in the Time of the Promises
- The Spirit of Christ in the Fullness of Time
- The Spirit and the Church in the Last Days
Paragraph 1. The Church in God's Plan
ARTICLE 10: "I BELIEVE IN THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS"
Paragraph 2. The Church - People of God, Body of Chrict, Temple of the Holy Spirit
- Names and Images of the Church
- The Church's Origin, Foundation, and Mission
- The Mystery of the Church
Paragraph 3. The Church is One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic
- The Church - People of God
- The Church - Body of Chirst
- The Church is the Temple of the Holy Spirit
Paragraph 4. Christ's Faithful - Hierarchy, Laity, Consecrated Life
- The Church Is One
- The Church Is Holy
- The Church Is Catholic
- The Church Is Apostolic
Paragraph 5. The Communion of Saints
- The Hierarchical Constitution of the Church
- The Lay Faithful
- The Consecrated Life
Paragraph 6. Mary - Mother of Christ, Mother of the Church
- Communion in Spiritual Goods
- The Communion of the Church of Heaven and Earth
- Mary's Motherhood with Regard to the Church
- Devotion to the Blessed Virgin
- Mary - Eschatological Icon of the Church
ARTICLE 11: "I BELIEVE IN THE RESURRECTION OF THE BODY"
- One Baptism for the Forgiveness of Sins
- The Power of the Keys
ARTICLE 12: "I BELIEVE IN LIFE EVERLASTING"
- Christ's Resurrection and Ours
- Dying in Jesus Christ
- The Particular Judgement
- The Final Purification, or Purgatory
- The Last Judgement
- The Hope of the New Heaven and the New Earth
IN BRIEF "Amen"
SECTION ONE: THE SACRAMENTAL ECONOMY
CHAPTER ONE: THE PASCHAL MYSTERY IN THE AGE OF THE CHURCH
SECTION TWO: THE SEVEN SACRAMENTS OF THE CHURCH
ARTICLE 1: THE LITURGY - WORK OF THE HOLY TRINITY
CHAPTER TWO: THE SACRAMENTAL CELEBRATION
ARTICLE 2: THE PASCHAL MYSTERY IN THE CHURCH'S SACRAMENTS
- The Father - Source and Goal of the Liturgy
- Christ's Work in the Liturgy
- The Holy Spirit and the Church in the Liturgy
- The Sacraments of Christ
- The Sacraments of the Church
- The Sacraments of Faith
- The Sacraments of Salvation
- The Sacraments of Eternal Life
ARTICLE 1: CELEBRATING THE CHURCH'S LITURGY
ARTICLE 2: LITURGICAL DIVERSITY AND THE UNITY OF THE MYSTERY
- Who Celebrates?
- How Is the Liturgy Celebrated?
- When Is the Liturgy Celebrated?
- Where Is the Liturgy Celebrated?
CHAPTER ONE: THE SACRAMENTS OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION
ARTICLE 1: THE SACRAMENT OF BAPTISM
CHAPTER TWO: THE SACRAMENTS OF HEALING
ARTICLE 2: THE SACRAMENT OF CONFIRMATION
- What Is the Sacarament Called?
- Baptism in the Economy of Salvation
- How Is the Sacrament of Baptism Celebrated?
- Who Can Receive Baptism?
- Who Can Baptize?
- The Necessity of Baptism?
- The Grace of Baptism
ARTICLE 3: THE SACRAMENT OF THE EUCHARIST
- Confirmation in the Economy of Salvation
- The Signs and the Rite of Confirmation
- The Effects of Confirmation
- Who Can Receive This Sacrament?
- The Minister of Confirmation
- The Eucharist - Source and Summit of the Ecclesial Life
- What Is This Sacrament Called?
- The Eucharist in the Economy of Salvation
- The Liturgical Celebration of the Eucharist
- The Sacramental Sacrifice: Thanksgiving, Memorial, Presence
- The Pascal Banquet
- The Eucharist - "Pledge of the Glory to Come"
ARTICLE 4: THE SACRAMENT OF PENANCE AND RECONCILIATION
CHAPTER THREE: THE SACRAMENTS AT THE SERVICE OF COMMUNION
ARTICLE 5: THE ANOINTING OF THE SICK
- What Is This Sacrament Called?
- Why a Sacrament of Reconciliation after Baptism?
- The Conversion of the Baptized
- Interior Penance
- The Many Forms of Penance in Christian Life
- The Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation
- The Acts of the Penitent
- The Minister of This Sacrament
- The Effects of This Sacrament
- The Celbration of the Sacrament of Penance
- It's Foundation in the Economy of Salvation
- Who Recieves and Who Administers This Sacramant?
- How Is This Sacrament Celebrated?
- The Effects of the Celebration of This Sacrament
- Viaticum, the Last Sacrament of the Christian
ARTICLE 6: THE SACRAMENT OF HOLY ORDERS
CHAPTER FOUR: OTHER LITURGICAL CELEBRATIONS
ARTICLE 7: THE SACRAMENT OF MATRIMONY
- Why Is This Sacrament Called "Orders"?
- The Sacramant of Holy Orders in the Economy of Salvation
- The Three Degrees of the Sacrament of Holy Orders
- The Celebration of This Sacrament
- Who Can Confer This Sacrament?
- Who Can Receive This Sacrament?
- The Effects of the Sacrament of Holy Orders
- Marriage in God's Plan
- The Celebration of Marriage
- Matrimonial Consent
- The Effects of the Sacrament of Matrimony
- The Goods and Requirements of Conjugal Love
- The Domestic Church
ARTICLE 1: SACRAMENTALS
ARTICLE 2: CHRISTIAN FUNERALS
- The Christian's Last Passover
- The Celebration of Funerals
SECTION ONE: MAN'S VOCATION: LIFE IN THE SPIRIT
CHAPTER ONE: THE DIGNITY OF THE HUMAN PERSON
SECTION TWO: THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
ARTICLE 1: MAN: THE IMAGE OF GOD
CHAPTER TWO: THE HUMAN COMMUNITY
ARTICLE 2: OUR VOCATION TO BEATITUDE
ARTICLE 3: MAN'S FREEDOM
- The Beatitudes
- The Desire for Happiness
- Christian Beatitude
ARTICLE 4: THE MORALITY OF HUMAN ACTS
- Freedom and Responsibility
- Human Freedom in the Economy of Salvation
ARTICLE 5: THE MORALITY OF THE PASSIONS
- The Sources of Morality
- Good Acts and Evil Acts
ARTICLE 6: MORAL CONSCIENCE
- Passions and Moral Life
ARTICLE 7: THE VIRTUES
- The Judgement of Conscience
- The Formation of Conscience
- To Choose in Accord with Conscience
- Erroneous Judgement
ARTICLE 8: SIN
- The Human Virtues
- The Theological Virtues
- The Gifts and Fruits of the Holy Spirit
- Mercy and Sin
- The Definition of Sin
- The Different Kinds of Sins
- The Gravity of Sin: Mortal and Venial Sin
- The Proliferation of Sin
ARTICLE 1: THE PERSON AND SOCIETY
CHAPTER THREE: GOD'S SALVATION: LAW AND GRACE
ARTICLE 2: PARTICIPATION IN SOCIAL LIFE
- The Communal Character of the Human Vocation
- Conversion and Society
ARTICLE 3: SOCIAL JUSTICE
- The Common Good
- Responsibility and Participation
- Respect for the Human Person
- Equality and Differences among Men
- Human Solidarity
ARTICLE 1: THE MORAL LAW
THE TEN COMMANDMENTS CHART
ARTICLE 2: GRACE AND JUSTIFICATION
- The Natural Moral Law
- The Old Law
- The New Law or the Law of the Gospel
ARTICLE 3: THE CHURCH, MOTHER AND TEACHER
- Christian Holiness
- Moral Life and the Magisterium of the Church
- The Precepts of the Church
- Moral Life and Missionary Witness
CHAPTER ONE: "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOU GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND"
ARTICLE 1: THE FIRST COMMANDMENT
CHAPTER TWO: "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF"
ARTICLE 2: THE SECOND COMMANDMENT
"You Shall Worship the Lord Your God and Him Only Shall You Serve"
- "Him Only Shall You Serve"
- "You Shall Have No Other Gods before Me"
- "You Shall Not Make for Yourself a Graven Image"
ARTICLE 3: THE THIRD COMMANDMENT
- The Name of the Lord Is Holy
- Taking the Name of the Lord in Vain
- The Christian Name
- The Sabbath Day
- The Lord's Day
ARTICLE 4: THE FOURTH COMMANDMENT
ARTICLE 5: THE FIFTH COMMANDMENT
- The Family in God's Plan
- The Family and Society
- The Duties of Family and the Kingdom
- The Family and the Kingdom
- The Authorities in Civil Society
ARTICLE 6: THE SIXTH COMMANDMENT
- Respect for Human Life
- Respect for the Dignity of Persons
- Safeguarding Peace
ARTICLE 7: THE SEVENTH COMMANDMENT
- "Male and Female He Created Them . . ."
- The Vocation to Chastity
- The Love of Husband and Wife
- Offenses against the Dignity of Marriage
ARTICLE 8: THE EIGHTH COMMANDMENT
- The Universal Destination and the Private Ownership of Goods
- Respect for Persons and Their Goods
- The Social Doctrine of the Church
- Economic Activity and Social Justice
- Justice and Solidarity among Nations
- Love for the Poor
ARTICLE 9: THE NINTH COMMANDMENT
- Living in the Truth
- To Bear Witness to the Truth
- Offenses against Truth
- Respect for the Truth
- The Use of the Social Communications Media
- Truth, Beauty, and Sacred Art
ARTICLE 10: THE TENTH COMMANDMENT
- Purification of the Heart
- The Battle for Purity
- The Disorder of Covetous Desires
- The Desires of the Spirit
- Poverty of Heart
- "I Want to See God"
SECTION ONE: MAN'S VOCATION: PRAYER IN THE CHRISTIAN LIFE
WHAT IS PRAYER?
SECTION TWO: THE LORD'S PRAYER: "OUR FATHER!"
CHAPTER ONE: THE REVELATION OF PRAYER
THE UNIVERSAL CALL TO PRAYER
CHAPTER TWO: THE TRADITION OF PRAYER
ARTICLE 1: IN THE OLD TESTAMENT
ARTICLE 2: IN THE FULLNESS OF TIME
ARTICLE 3: IN THE AGE OF THE CHURCH
- Blessing and Adoration
- Prayer of Petition
- Prayer of Intercession
- Prayer of Thanksgiving
- Prayer of Praise
ARTICLE 1: AT THE WELLSPRINGS OF PRAYER
CHAPTER THREE: THE LIFE OF PRAYER
ARTICLE 2: THE WAY OF PRAYER
ARTICLE 3: GUIDES FOR PRAYER
ARTICLE 1: EXPRESSIONS OF PRAYER
ARTICLE 2: THE BATTLE OF PRAYER
- Vocal Prayer
- Contemplative Prayer
ARTICLE 3: THE PRAYER OF THE HOUR OF JESUS
- Objections to Prayer
- Humble Vigilance of Heart
- Filial Trust
- Perserving in Love
ARTICLE 1: "THE SUMMARY OF THE WHOLE GOSPEL"
ARTICLE 2: "OUR FATHER WHO ART IN HEAVEN"
- At the Center of the Scriptures
- "The Lord's Prayer"
- The Prayer of the Church
ARTICLE 3: "THE SEVEN PETITIONS"
- "We Dare to Say"
- "Our" Father
- "Who Art in Heaven"
ARTICLE 4: THE FINAL DOXOLOGY
- "Hallowed Be Thy Name"
- "Thy Kingdom Come"
- "The Will Be Done on Earth as It Is in Heaven"
- "Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread"
- "And Forgive us Our Trespasses, as We Forgive Those Who Trespass against Us"
- "And Lead Us Not into Temptation"
- "But Deliver Us From Evil"